How to pass a long list of tags or a checklist in an AppExtension to avoid the error "data value too large"?
This is a very common error while using AppExtension.
This article documents a common error message when configuring SharinPix deeplinks with values greater than 255 characters.
The below screenshot shows you an example of the error:
The example below demonstrates a bad example of an AppExtension value.
The above demonstrates a SharinPix deeplink with a long checklist value. The AppExtenstion value in this case exceeds the maximum 255 characters allowed in an AppExtension value
- Create a Formula field of type text on the WorkOrder. For example CheckListFormula__c.
- In the Formula field, CheckListFormula__c, add the checklist value, that is the list of tags separated by a semi-colon. For example: "Front-Door;Back-Yard;Entrance"(Every values should be separate by a ; )
- Once the Formula field is saved, copy its API name and paste it into the SharinPix deeplink value in the AppExtension
Here is an example of how to write AppExtension with a formula field:
This also works with a field of type "Long Text". See the below example.
- Create a field of type Text Area (long). For example TagList__c.
- In the text area field TagList__c add the checklist value. The value should be separated by a semi-colon. For example: "Front_of_Home" + ";" +"Right_Side_of_Home" + ";" +"Left_Side_of_Home"
Here is an example of how to write AppExtension with a long text area: